Stern - Meteor | Mpu Boot up | 7 Flashes then loops into Boot up again

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Stern - Meteor | Mpu Boot up | 7 Flashes then loops into Boot up again

Hello,

I just recently got a Stern Meteor that gives me some trouble.
    The machine - taken off power for some time (e.g. 30 minutes) - boots up fine - 7 flashes - and goes into game mode.
    There is no trouble insight.

But restarting the game after aprox 3 minutes after powerd on, does send the mpu in a boot cycle.
    Same does the 3rd to 4th immediate shut down and restart after a successful startup.

Flashing 7 times, lighting the displays for a split second with what seems to be random digits and falling back to the startup boot sequence.

I suspected and still do suspect a faulty capacitor somewhere on the mpu board.

I replaced the C16, as it had been said before to create this kind of trouble.

But now i am a bit in the dark,
    (as well a Bally/Stern hasn`t been my field of play/work so far)

your help is appreciated.
    Rückantworten auch gerne auf Deutsch, vielen Dank.

regards

leif

Sidenote:

I did replace the solenoid driver board with a working board from another meteor - same problem
  • Hi Leif,

unfortunately many problems may cause this issue. I wonder a bit why your MPU only flashes 7* as Stern normally has 8* but that may be a counting issue whether the first flicker counts or not.
    My number 1 suspect in this case are the CMOS-RAM ICs and their sockets. On Stern-200 the requirements on them are harder than on Bally regarding timing and stability.
    If you have any battery damage in lower section replace the 22pin sockets of both - and mayby try other 300ns (or better) 5101 RAMs.

Martin
    Live Long and Prosper
  • Hi Martin,

thank you for your reply. I did exchange the rams beforehand for new PCD5101P SRAM, which solved a delayed score and distorted sound problem.
    Furthermore i rebuilt the clock circuit components including its IC (C12, C16, C17 and U12). The boot up problem still occurred.

In a last attempt i exchanged the CPU Chip on U10 for a known working one. And voila, the boot up loop error was gone.
    After some time and testing, i put the old CPU back and had the very same problem as before.

I will replace the 40 PIN Socket to make sure the connection to the IC is perfect. If the problem still persists i will replace the CPU on U10.

Thanks so far,
    leif
  • Benutzer online 1

1 Besucher