Projects Projects and more Projects

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Projects Projects and more Projects

I have been asked to post some pics and info on some of my upcoming projects. So Im going to try and upload some pics of the "basket" case pins.
  • RE: Projects Projects and more Projects

Up first is a sight that is not for the faint of heart. Yeah, made me want to cry also. :(
    Bilder
    • PDR_0008.jpg

68,22 kB, 600×800, 410 mal angesehen

Now the above pins came from Kevin Martin's PAPA facility in Pittsburgh. He suffered a terrible loss when the flood came through. I worked out a deal, and bought the above pins for salvage after they had been sitting untouched for 8 months. Believe it or not, (No Ripleys here) They actually came through restoration pretty well. AFM is the only one left to do out of that bunch, and I will document its journey here.

Its been a rough summer for me here in the States. My dad has cancer of the liver/lung/ and lymph nodes, so its been in and out around here. My documentation of the pin restoration has been at a minimum. In between I did get a few pics of the TSPP in progress. Here is the tear down. Wish this forum had "smellovision" because the smells were enough to turn a grown mans stomach.
    Bilder
    • PDR_0003.jpg

70,97 kB, 800×600, 375 mal angesehen

Sorry for the gap in progress, but all cleaned/sanded/clearcoated/polished and going back together.
    Bilder
    • PDR_0002.jpg

76,11 kB, 800×600, 344 mal angesehen

Now what is a little mud from a flood? LOL.. Yeah I thought that too when I made the deal to get these machines. First off, I would be further ahead to just go buy a clean decent game - both in time and money as I look back at it. But this is where my passion lies, in bringing back life to a lifeless machine. The mud was absolutely the worst as it wouldnt wash off without a fight. Cleaning the harness and assemblies were more than I bargained for. 8o

And here is the finished version of that very same flooded filthy TSPP in my house.
    Bilder
    • PDR_0005.jpg

60,09 kB, 600×800, 354 mal angesehen
  • Thanks, Mike.

At a first look at your pictures I thought, the machines came out of a street cafe in mexico, where they got played without glass above the field for a long, long time :D

But, my real question to it is about the water; doesn't ruined that the wood ? My thought was, that the wood come up and look like bread, no chance for restoring anything exept the plastics/ramps or other parts, to which water is friendly to . . .

And what did you do against the smell ?

Mario
    Nicht genutzte Intelligenz ist im Ergebnis genauso wie nicht vorhandene Intelligenz
  • In general water and wood do not play well together. However there are several factors that apply. One is the quality of the wood used, second is the paint, and clearcoat used. If the playfield was sealed well, then little expansion occured. Such is the case for Stern. I now have a hard earned valued opinion of Stern's games. They are built rock solid! Including the Cabinet which only needed the bottom of the cab replaced, and the back of the head.
    The WPC generation of pins didnt fare that well. Cabs did expand and bubble up, as well as some of the playfields. I have a Scared Stiff playfield salvaged from the same flood. I used a 4' X 6' X 8" granite surface plate and steam to make it flat again under a vacuum press for laminate. Confusing? In simple form, I used steam to soften the pf from the back side, and edges. The inserts allowed the steam to penetrate the wood fibers in the middle of the board. Once "soft", I then layed it flat on a granite surface plate. Used a vacuum press to compress the pf flat on the plate while dehumidifying (sp) the board. Under -26" of mercury to be specific in the weight of the press. Not sure what the exact equivalant of applied said pressure is. But it works well in this process. It is flat, within specs of .495 in thickness, with a +/- tolerance of .015.
    For the smells, I used a wash of bleach (yeah, I know its bad for artwork), detergent, and a neutralizer.
    I will show the above process when I do the AFM project.
    Mike
  • Yes, When I first started out doing this, I used to "span" the playfield using chairs, or even worse working "verticle", leaning up against a wall. Thats when the idea for the cart was born. Its all inclusive, meaning it holds the playfield and can be rotated 360 degrees. And also can be locked into any position. Makes quick work for above and below processes such as pop-bumper removal/repair. :) It has two tool trays that hold small parts/tools/nuts/bolts/etc. and under the tool trays is storage for larger parts/ramps/aprons etc. I have two of these carts that always have playfields being rotated in and out for the major restorations/pf strip downs and touch-up/clearcoatings. Here in the states, there is another "playfield rotissere" but is more "hobby-ish" for the weekend-warrior. Not my style ;)
    When finished with the playfield, I then tech it right there on the cart before I place it back into the cab. Its so much easier to tech/repair and trouble right then and there while its easy to flip around and work on the bottom. Here is a pic of a TZ shown running in the cart. I test all switches/lamps/coils/assemblies for failures before I take it out.
    I also have a cabinet fixture that I can flip and rotate to work on any side. Its more of a "spider" looking arm with hydralic power thats bolted to the floor. Great for decal work, and replacing the bottoms of cabs.
    Mike
    Bilder
    • PDR_0001.jpg

36,09 kB, 600×800, 293 mal angesehen
  • Looks like you're having a bunch of fun there, Mike. It'll be interesting to hear how the wood holds up in the future. I hope it lasts for you.

Sorry to hear about your folks!

I'm gonna send you a PM.